Protein ingestion before sleep improves postexercise overnight recovery.

Discussion forum to talk about supplements
Vanguard

Protein ingestion before sleep improves postexercise overnight recovery.

Postby Vanguard » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:27 pm

One of the things I started doing this off season is eating 50g of casein protein at bedtime. One reason is that consuming a whey shake was to much liquid causing me to get up in the night. Another was I love ice cream and eating casein is kind of a decent substitute. This study suggests that consuming casein protein right before bed helped with recovery as well. http://europepmc.org/abstract/med/22330017
Dean "Vanguard" Lester
Larry

Re: Protein ingestion before sleep improves postexercise overnight recovery.

Postby Larry » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks Dean - I've been doing egg whites or a whey protein shake before bed for a while now, I might give casein a try instead. I've only seen casein available in protein powder form, though - how do you take it if not in a shake?
Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:31 pm

I put two scoops of casein powder in a bowl and then trickle cold water in while I mix it with a spoon. Keep adding water until you get a consistency you like. For me I like a pudding / soft ice cream consistency. I usually get chocolate flavor and during my last prep I also add in some frozen strawberries to add some additional flavor.

Casein is usually way more expensive than whey, however I get my protein from Canadian Protein as it's much more affordable and I can get 5 lb bags for $60.00 Canadian which is cheaper than some 5 lb tubs of named brand whey. I also buy my whey protein from them, Bulk Premium Whey Protein Blend 25 lbs works out to $48.00 / 5 lbs. I believe they now have a U.S. website as well now.

http://www.canadianprotein.com/micellar-casein.html
Dean "Vanguard" Lester
Larry

Postby Larry » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:30 pm

Thanks Dean, I appreciate the tip. I have mixed whey protein powder with plain yogurt in the past to form a nice pudding, but I tend to get a bit bloated with it. The chocolate casein with strawberries sounds delicious.

Larry
Graham

Postby Graham » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:29 am

Guys,

Cottage cheese is also high in casein, (as is other dairy based foods, if you can tolerate them) from memory a 300g pot of Cottage Cheese with Pinapple has 35g of protein, carbs are not too high and you can get low fat versions. If you like this type of food you could also add some unflavoured casein powder to boost the protein content so the cottage cheese goes further.
Adding fat to whey would also slow down the digestion which might make the characteristics closer to casein. You can do this by mixing whey with peanut butter and some oats to make it like a protein bar. If you add some desiccated coconut (like that used in cake making) you can make balls out of the mix and then roll them in a bit of coacoa powder and they are delicious. The danger is you will eat the lot! Rather than your measured amount :lol:

Graham.
Graham

Postby Graham » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:03 am

One of my favourite recipes for breakfast which I have also eaten at night before bed when hungry is:

150g of 0%fat Greek yogurt.
1 scoop Whey protein powder (chocolate). + tiny drop of milk (desert spoon).
Some rolled oats.
Some muesli. (This is just oats with some dried banana, coconut, raisins, chopped dried fruit, nuts).
1 heaped teaspoon of natural peanut butter.

I usually mix the protein powder in the yogurt first with a little milk so it's no too thick.
Then mix in the oats and some muesli.
Last I mix in the peanut butter,
Sometimes I also chop in a couple of dried apricots, you can also put in some desiccated coconut or cinnamon or any other flavourings you like. Frozen berries are also great in this and also if you are going to take it out somewhere , they will help to keep it cold and fresh! I like to put in frozen Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, grapes cherries or other frozen mixed fruit. This is cheap to buy as frozen mixed berries and is a good way of sweetening or making more like a desert or just to keep changing the flavours.
You can eat this straight away or you can put it in the fridge over night or for a day or two, which allows the oats to soften and swell a little and just allows the mix to be a little thicker.
The beauty of this is you can put in what you want in to alter the protein, carbs, fat levels. And you can pre make the mixture and eat it later. You also get the benefit of the yogurt being a good digestive / gut bacteria booster.
A 500g pot of 0%fat yogurt is so cheap and I usually make 3 lots from this and use it as a snack or an alternative to eggs etc for breakfast, especially if time is tight and its been pre-made. Also you can eat it cold so it transports well, is great at any time and even as a desert if you want because you can compose the flavours and macros you want.
I usually make it so it fills a 300g pot that I have spare from when I've had cream or you can put more oats and muesli etc, and make each mix almost fill a spare 500g pot.

Good luck!

Graham.
Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:45 pm

Yeah cottage cheese is a good alternative. I use to eat a fair amount however it takes up a lot of room in the fridge but its a good alternative. Thanks for sharing the recipe Graham I will have to give that a try! :D
Dean "Vanguard" Lester
Larry

Postby Larry » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Graham, thanks for the recipes, they look delicious. Cottage cheese and fruit has been one of my favorite "desserts" over the years. Dean, I've been trying your "pudding" trick with my whey protein powder, with frozen blueberries and strawberries. Good stuff! I have casein protein on order and will look forward to using that as well.

Larry

Return to “Supplements”