Vanguard's Training Log - 2017 Edition!

Share and post your training logs so others can see how you train
Vanguard

Vanguard's Training Log - 2017 Edition!

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:01 pm

So I figure it's probably time to start up a new log. I have actually been back training now for 5 months since I stopped training in my old log. I started mid January of this year with one of my co-works Daniel at our office gym over our lunch hour and we have done pretty good. Especially happy for Daniel who has dropped 15 pounds and probably but on 5 to 10 pounds of muscle while doing so. For myself I started out at 205 lbs and once I started training gained 5 to 7 pounds pretty quickly. I figure this was muslce coming back as my diet did not really change. The day I hit 212 lbs I new I needed to start dieting, so that was March 20th and I have been dieting since then with the goal of getting down to 190 lbs which should set me up for a nice long lean gaining phase.

weight tracking.JPG
weight tracking.JPG (39.16 KiB) Viewed 217 times

Training has been an upper lower split twice a week with the first two days going heavy in the 3 to 6 rep range and the later two days using light weights in the 8 to 12 rep range. I am mid week right now so I will start posting my training starting tomorrow when I do my lighter upper body routine.
Dean "Vanguard" Lester
Vanguard

Re: Vanguard's Training Log - 2017 Edition!

Postby Vanguard » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:18 pm

Upper Light (Hypertrophy)

Morning weight 200.6 lbs

I ended up not training yesterday. I had a workshop to attend at work so my day was much longer than usual. I normally work 6 am to 3 pm and then come home and train and have dinner. Yesterday I got home at just before 5 pm and on top of it all was not feeling very well. I also had to do app testing for our monthly server patching and that went from 8 pm to midnight then I had to be up at 4:30 am to be at work for 6 am.

Anyways I left work early today as I was so tired and not feeling well. Got home and noon and slept for couple hours and felt a bit better but still not great. Decided I should do my workout anyways as I am working on being more consistent. Ended up having a great workout so you just never know unless you show up and try. It would have been so easy to have allowed myself to skip it, so glad I did not.

Incline Cable Presses 80 lbs x 10, 10, 10
Incline Cable Fly's 40 lbs x 10, 10, 10
Cable Side Lateral Raise 40 lbs x 8, 8, 8
Cable Pull Downs 140 lbs x 12, 12, 12
Face Pulls 80 lbs x 12, 12, 12
Tricep Press Down w Rope 90 lbs x 12, 12, 12
Rope Hammer Curls 45 lbs x 12, 12, 12
Dean "Vanguard" Lester
Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:49 pm

Lower Light (Hypertrophy)

Morning weight 199.8 lbs

So I ended up not training yesterday. I worked all day building a small platform and stairs off of the patio door / dinning room. This now gives us access to the covered patio area from inside the house instead of having to go around.

inside_platform.jpg
inside_platform.jpg (112.75 KiB) Viewed 198 times
outside_platform.jpg
outside_platform.jpg (142.48 KiB) Viewed 198 times

Its not 100% completed but decided since today is father day I would relax today along with getting in my 4th training session for the week.

Little frustrated with my weight but think I am fighting something off as i have not been feeling that great the last few days. Grace and my two nieces are signed up for the Rugged Maniacs race in Calgary on July 29th so excited to be doing that with them. Needless to say I will be adding in some cardio training between now and then in preparation. That should help with getting the weight loss back on track.

Barbell Squats 135 lbs x 10, 10, 10
RDL 95 lbs x 10, 10, 10
Leg Extensions 100 lbs x 12, 12, 12
Leg Curls 100 lbs x 12, 12, 12
One Legged Calf Raise bw x 12, 12, 12

Overall not a bad training session. I have missed a few of these so probably why the squats felt heavy. I have done 145 lbs for 3 sets of 12 3 or 4 weeks ago so room for improvement.
Dean "Vanguard" Lester
Rendy

Postby Rendy » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:14 pm

You've been busy. Good for you for training when not feeling well and having it turn into a positive!! I did the Mud Hero in Red Deer last year, it was quite taxing for me; have registered again and I aim to beat my time from last year (I think I was dead last in my heat :( ). Its a family affair, so it's quite fun and God Bless my 15 year old son and husband, who didn't allow me to get to far behind them, even if it affected their times :D :P . Is it lower body today?
Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:34 pm

Congrats on doing the Mud Hero. Running is not my favorite thing in the world to do but upping my cardio a bit is a good idea and this should help with my weight loss. I am sure you will do better this year and how awesome is it to do the race with your family! :) I think events like this are a great thing for that.

Upper day today. Usually I try and do the following;

Monday - Upper Strength
Tuesday - Lower Strength
Wed - off (but now cardio)
Thursday - Upper Light
Friday - Lower Light
Sat - Off (but now cardio)
Sun - Off
Dean "Vanguard" Lester
Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:02 pm

Upper Heavy (Strength)

Morning weight 200 lbs

BB Bench Press 225 lbs x 5,5,5
BB Upright Rows 135 lbs x 6,6,6 (wide grip)
BB Close Grip Bench 185 lbs x 7,7,6
Pull-ups BW x 7,7,7
Tricep Press Downs 140 x 8,8,8
Bicep ez-bar curls 140 x 6,6,6

Solid training session, slow and steady as they say. I ended up going for a run yesterday for the first time to start getting ready for the Rugged Maniac race. It was pretty sad and shows how I really need to work at this. Good thing is cardio usually gets better pretty quickly. i was thinking of running tonight but i don;t want to get to aggressive to start with so will run on Wednesday/ Twice a week on non training days is a good start.
Dean "Vanguard" Lester
Rendy

Postby Rendy » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:42 pm

How long are you running for, or distance I should say. Have you thought of taking a learn to run program; online or through the Running Room. I did a few years back and enjoyed. I myself hate running to be honest and my cardio has been stairs.

What do you consider upper strength and upper light....lifting heavy and light?
Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:14 am

I would consider a running program if I really wanted to get better at running. :D

However I just need to improve enough so I can complete the course and so its not so taxing that i can enjoy it more. I estimate that we are ran about 1 to 1.5 km and the goal will be to get to the point I can do that without have to walk and then start doing a second lap.

Yes Upper strength heavier weight and less reps, upper light means lighter weight and more reps.
Dean "Vanguard" Lester
Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:17 am

Ran out of time yesterday so posting this a day late.

Tuesday June 20th,

Lower Heavy (Strength)

Weight 200.6 lbs

Squats 245 lbs x 6,6,5
Deadlifts 275 x 6,5,5
Standing calf Raises 220 lbs x 12, 12, 12
Dean "Vanguard" Lester
Vanguard

Postby Vanguard » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:42 pm

Cardio Day / Rest Day

Weight 199.4 lbs

Distance 1.21 miles in 0:15:13 which works out to a 12:33 min/mile

Found a free app to track my runs called MapMyWalk which will help me track my progress over time. Grace did not want to run with me today as she is in much better cardio shape and barely got her heat rate up the first time we went so today I ran alone. I was really surprised how much better I did this time around with only have to stop and walk three times. It might be because I ran at my pace rather than trying to keep up with Grace. In any event I feel its progress and I hope to keep improving.
Dean "Vanguard" Lester

Return to “Training Logs”