Owning a home gym has been something I have always wanted and with us buying our first home just over a year ago it gave me the opportunity to build and create my own home / garage gym. It’s still not fully completed but its been functional since June and I have been training at home the last 8 months. I think that is long enough now that I can give a fair and honest review of the pro’s and con’s of having a home gym.
Before I get started let me just say that I think before someone goes and invests in buying equipment and setting up their own home gym that they first show they can be consistent with their training long term. How many people have you known that go and buy a piece of fitness equipment only to have it end up never being used?
1. Zero travel time to and from the gym
2. No gym membership
3. You don’t have to share equipment
4. You don’t have to put other peoples weights away because they were to lazy to do it themselves
5. You no longer have to wonder if someone is still using the equipment because they left the bar loaded.
6. You can set up things exactly how you want to and not have to worry you are getting in someone’s way
7. You don’t have to deal with crowded change rooms
8. You can listen to your own music without having to use earbuds or headphones
1. No interaction with other people (could be a pro depending on your personality)
2. No spotters
3. Will cost more money upfront for equipment compared to just paying a monthly membership
So those are the ones that come to mind as I write this. For me the pro’s far outweigh the con’s.