Tony Gentilcore with an excellent article at T Nation on why your not getting stronger, check it out!
Here’s what you need to know…
- There’s a lot more to getting strong than lifting heavy things for one rep. That will just lead to stagnation.
- Accumulate volume. Take your 3RM and train it until you can do 5 reps with that weight.
- Use supplemental lifts to add volume, fix weaknesses, and improve technique in the big lifts.
- Unless your squat and deadlift are around 2x bodyweight and your bench press is 1.5x bodyweight, adding in speed work or dynamic effort days isn’t going to do much.
- Recovery days where you perform mobility, activation, or movement prep should be used along with your “balls to the walls” workouts.
Getting strong is easy. Focus on compound, multi-joint movements – preferably the squat, deadlift and bench press – and to try to move more weight in those lifts on a weekly, monthly, and yearly basis.
Basically, lift heavy shit, a lot. Repeat. Forever.
So why do many people fail to make appreciable progress with their strength goals? Here are five mistakes you can fix:[Read More]